Alpha Chi Omega was founded on October 15, 1885, at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. Professor James Hamilton Howe, Dean of the Music School, invited seven young women from the school to attend a meeting for the purpose of forming a society. The seven young women chosen to attend this first meeting were Anna Allen, Olive Burnett, Bertha Deniston, Amy DuBois, Nellie Gamble, Bessie Grooms and Estelle Leonard. They wanted to form an organization that would provide both close companionship and support to its members.The young women met regularly in a small room in the music building. One week after their initial founding, Alpha Chi Omega's Founders and their first new members made their presence known. Although founded within the school of music, Alpha Chi Omega is now open to all undergraduate female students meeting our National Membership Criteria.
Twelve women on Bradley’s campus wanted more out of a sorority, so on October 12, 1976, they founded the local sorority, Delta Nu. In the spring of 1977, the women of Delta Nu petitioned Alpha Chi Omega for national colonization. That summer, Alpha Chi Omega National Council fulfilled Delta Nu’s desire to become an Alpha Chi Omega colony at Bradley University. They were officially installed as the Zeta Eta Chapter of Alpha Chi Omega on May 6th, 1978 with 30 members.
Sisters celebrating after our house was built!
Alumnae Marilyn, Kathy and Sonia decked out in AXO gear in 1982!